Project Name: London Film School
Architect: Glenn Howells Architects
Project Type: Design, supply and install
NACWL were awarded the contract to strip the existing facade back to its primary structure and install a completely new facade. This consisted of:
- Trimo Structural Rockwool composite cladding panels
- Corium Brick slip system
- Bespoke aluminium fabrications such as soffit and parapet flashings
- Hueck curtain walling finished with extended Feature cover caps
- Hueck SG curtain walling
- Kingfisher louvre system and doors to ground floor
- Repairs to existing standing seam roof, valley gutter and perimeter upstands
NACWL carried out the following pre-construction services to:
- CWCT sequence B dynamic test for cladding systems
- Acoustic testing for the curtain walling zones to achieve 54db Rw
In order to achieve specification requirements, and to aid speed of installation, NACWL proposed an alternative to the Architectural intent, with the introduction of a structural composite panel to support the brick slip system in replacement of the more labour-intensive secondary steel and helping hand system drawn.
The curtain wall was constructed from the Hueck Trigon 50 range with a mixture of capped and toggle secured glass/insulated aluminium panela to provide a textured finish to the façade. Due to the Film Schools requirement for an exceptional acoustic performance we undertook numerous studies and testing to ensure that we successfully achieved a compliant glass make-up with double laminates to both panes and 2 acoustic interlayers.
Along with the replacement façade our works included a full condition survey of the existing ad long term defective, standing seam roof. Following our report, the client decided that a full replacement was not an option for them and instructed us to undertake repair and small replacement works, with support from the original system supplier to bring the roof to an acceptable condition.